Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
My pilot requests this for his birthday dinner.
Preheat oven to 375º
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 tube of Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage 16 oz./1 lb. (freezer section in grocery store) defrost before using
- 2 eggs
- 1-2 sleeve of saltine crackers crunched up into ¼ inch
- 1 medium diced onion or 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons mustard
- 1 teaspoon season salt
- 2 tablespoons of parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound of Bacon- set aside topping for your meatloaf
- Make the bacon basket topping
Pull strips of bacon apart and divide into 2 piles
Line a plate with several layers of paper towels (to absorb grease.)
Criss-cross or basket-wave the bacon into a rectangle shape 2 inch bigger then your.
Microwave for 4-5 minutes, this will cook some of the grease off. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowel mix together hamburger, sausage, and eggs, diced onions, minced garlic, ketchup, mustard, season salt, parsley flakes Worcestershire sauce. Crush saltine crackers in sleeve before opening. Open up sleeve and dump into the bowel and mix with ingredients above.
- Place contents from the bowl into a loaf pan shaping it into a loaf.
- Next place the bacon topping on your loaf. Carefully (warning make sure the bacon and grease is cooled before handling.) Drain the grease off into a cup and put aside to cool. Flip the plate with bacon ontop of the meatloaf and pull away paper towel and plate. Next tuck the edges of the bacon basket down the sides between loaf and pan.
- Cook at 375º
- Cover meat loaf with foil cook for 40 minutes and remove foil for the last 20 minutes to crisp the bacon.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
*Tip: For a more formal serving on a platter. Place the bacon weave in the pan first and build the loaf on top. When you serve place platter on the pan and flip. The bacon will be on the top after you flip it on to the platter. Most the time I just serve it out of the pan, less dishes.=) (warning make sure the bacon and grease is cooled before handling.)
*Tip: Double your recipe and freeze the other meatloaf if you are going to make the mess you might as well have a loaf ready to go for another day.