Yield: 12 servings (plus leftovers)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes (Bake Time)
Think outside of the Blue box, once you have this Mac & Cheese you will never go back to blue box with the orange powder.
Preheat oven to 350º
- 1 Box 32 oz. Elbow Macaroni
- 4 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 stick 8oz. butter
- 2 cups of milk
- 4 tablespoon of flour
- 1 medium onion diced
- Dash of ground pepper
- 2 cups Italian breadcrumbs
- In a large pot of water add salt, and a dash of oil. Bring it to a rolling boil and add the Elbow Macaroni and cook for about 8 minutes. Don’t over cook. (Cook a little under…You don’t want mushy noodles.)
- Butter a large casserole dish and set it aside.
- Drain and rinse noodles.
- Dump into the casserole butter dish.
- Use the same pan that the macaroni is cooked in. Melt 3/4 of a stick of butter.
- Add diced onions and cook on low until the onions are clear.
- Add flour gradually, stirring with a whisk or a fork to make a white roux.
- Add a dash of pepper.
- Gradually pour milk into the roux and continue stirring until it has thickened.
- Continue stirring in 2 cups of the 4 cups of cheddar cheese, stir until cheese is melted.
- Pour cheese sauce over the macaroni that is in the casserole dish and mix well.
- Stir in 1 cup of cheddar cheese into the macaroni with the cheese sauce.
- Cover the top of the macaroni with the last 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Wipe out the pan that you made the sauce in with a paper towel.
- Melt the remaining 1/4 butter in the pan.
- Turn off burner and Stir in 2 cups of Italian Bread crumbs.
- Spread over Mac and Cheese.
- Place a foil over dish and bake at 350º for 20 minutes (if in a hurry scoop a serving out into a bowl or plate and nuke it in the microwave to melt the cheese.)
*Tip you can cut the recipe in half and serve as a side-dish.
Suggested Main Dishes You May want to try with this recipe.
Meatloaf That Brings Your Pilot Home